Strength: noun. the ability to overcome.

How To Become Instantly Stronger, Part 1

by GEOFFN on July 19

Imagine having the power to do or accomplish anything you wanted. The world would be your oyster so to speak. That 700lbs deadlift PR would fall. That SSST with the 24kg would be an easy 250 reps. Wouldn’t it be cool if there was an exact formula to help you do just that?

Before I tell you about this formula, I know I have some loose ends to tie up.

  1. Normandy. I’ve been postponing doing this blog post. It was a profound experience. I WILL get to it, I promise.
  2. Your Questions. I apologize – I started this series just before I went on the road. So, I’ll get to them this Friday, although they will most likely be in a format that’s the easiest for me to get you your answers – writing. Video is fun, but time-consuming. Not saying I won’t ever do videos, but just not every time.

Ok, back to the formula.

Instant Strength = SG + CV + FA + DE

SG.

SG stands for Specific Goal.

I know what you may be thinking, “Not another goal setting post…” and the reality is this isn’t. It’s about getting stronger – instantly stronger. Remember, strength isn’t just physical. In fact, the physical manifestation of strength, is yes, mechanical in nature, but also psychological, or metaphysical. It exists first and foremost in your mind.

Napolean Hill, in his timeless classic, Think And Grow Rich, states in the very beginning that “thoughts are things.” Which means that thoughts are real. They exist in time and space. They are the seeds of achievement, and as such, need to be cultivated.

When I was a senior in high school, I wanted nothing more than to win our high school wrestling championships. I thought about it daily, routinely. I thought about how it would feel, what I had to do to get there. I lived in the future as if I had already accomplished my goal. And it wasn’t really surprising when I did win. I had already planned it out in my head.

The same goes for any goal – strength or not. It just so happens that we’re talking about getting instantly stronger, so we will apply this concept to that goal.

So, what is it that you absolutely must do? You’re just dying to do it? Is it that 700lbs deadlift or that SSST with the 24kg? (For me, currently, it’s get to 240lbs – already up to 222lbs from 213lbs four weeks ago – because I have better leverage to lift heavy stuff there. And yes, I want to lift heavy stuff.)

Write it down.

And don’t just write it down anywhere either. Write it down in someplace important – someplace you can see and will see routinely. Someplace that is really important to you.

Writing down your specific goal allows your brain to really focus on the task at hand. More importantly, it allows you to actually have a fighting chance at achieving them.

Don’t believe me?

Take a look at this study done on the 1979 graduating MBA class of Harvard Business School. Researchers asked the following question,

“Have you set clear written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?”

This was Harvard, remember, so what do you think the answers were?

Probably as high as 90% said “yes” right?

Wrong.

Here are the results.

  • Only 3% had written goals and plans (!)
  • 13% had goals but they weren’t in writing
  • And the rest – 84% had no goals at all (!!!)

Here’s the fascinating part of the study.

The researchers caught up with the class members 10 years later and conducted follow up interviews. Here are the results.

  • The 13% who had goals were earning twice as much as the 84% who had no goals at all

And here’s the mind-blowing part –

  • The 3% who had clear, written goals were earning, on average, 10 times more than the other 97% put together!*

HOLY MOLY!

What do you think that will do to your strength gains??

Imagine where you will be in one month from now. Three months? Six months? One year?

Now go write that down specifically.

In the next post in this series, I’ll reveal what CV is and why it’s vitally important to getting instantly stronger.

Until then, remember, thoughts are things. Go capture your thoughts in writing.

*From What They Don’t Teach You In Harvard Business School, by Mark McCormack, a nice little book my father-in-law gave me about 10 years ago.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Leave a Comment

*

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: